Tuesday, June 5, 2007

1.37

That's it! A mere 1.37 miles is all that separates our apartment from my office! That's all. Mapquest even provided an estimated travel time of only 4 minutes, and I completely agree. Hit every green light at each intersection and I might just experience a sub-4 minute commute home! A 4 minute commute! Are you kidding me?!

Despite the occasional appearance of inclement Mid-western weather, I have absolutely no excuse not be bike to work everyday. Including the startling fact illustrated above, below are a number of other factors that have completely validated my choice to pick the velo over the v6.

- Andrea and I recently watched Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth. Although many have ignorantly translated the term "global warming" to mean political strategery, it is undeniable the Earth's climate is getting warmer, especially where it shouldn't. Carbon dioxide levels are on a constant increase. Worst of all, it is a result of our own doing and not a natural occurrence.1 Riding my bike is arguably one of the most logical ways to reduce the size of my emission footprint.

- As of today, June 5, the status quo of the price of unleaded gasoline is currently 3.39 a gallon. And right now, that is considered cheap! Needless to say, I can't wait to read this at the end of summer just to compare what prices will be then. I know it sounds weird, but I'm still trying to get over the mode of thinking that my bicycle is this mode of transportation that doesn't require ANY GAS! Call me a product of this consumerist society, but the concept just blows my mind.

- Riding a bike is healthy. I teach a Fitness and Wellness course at a nearby community college and am constantly praising positive lifestyle choices and healthy alternatives. I'd look pretty silly if I didn't practice what I preach.

- The back door to one of the best bike shops here in town is literally right next to our front door. Now, in an effort to conserve the anonymity of our place of residence I won't name any names. But let's just say that if I ever need to have my bike maintenanced, this place could not be any closer.

- This next one is pretty great. If any of the above reason's were not enough for me to ride my bike more often, then this one definitely takes it. My brother designs bikes for a well respected bike company and got me this amazing ride. Check the picture below.

- Lastly, riding a bike is just fun. I love it. I love the sense of freedom to go wherever I want and to explore new parts of the city. The only problem is that I need to get a bike for my wife. It just doesn't feel right when I'm out and about, and she is not there with me. It is one of those things where you are experiencing something so wonderful (a concert, a sunset, a sporting event, etc.) and you want whoever you love to be there with you.

Anyway, here is the beautiful stallion.

Now go ride a bike.

1 According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), this era of global warming "is unlikely to be entirely natural in origin" and "the balance of evidence suggests a discernible human influence of the global climate."

1 comment:

erikeagleman said...

Way to go!
I love that bike. until i figure out the how to commute to work on my bike and still get Erin to the train station, than i will still be driving 3 miles to work everday. It sucks, but maybe we can get Erin a collapsable bike and she can take it on the train with her.